Thursday, October 9, 2008

Preparing for induction chemotherapy

My radiation oncologist and chemo oncologist are in agreement, recommending 3 cycles of induction chemotherapy, spaced three to four weeks apart, followed by radiation and more chemotherapy.

The chemotherapy will include cisplatin, Taxol (paclitaxel), and 5-FU (fluorouracil). But before they can pump the drugs into my body, I need a portacath installed on my chest. The outpatient facility where I had my biopsy is booked until the end of October so my doctor is trying to expedite the process, which means the procedure might be performed at the hospital instead.

I am so ready to get started. Yeah, I know, after the drugs are in my system, I'm sure I'll be writing about how much they suck.

My oncologist is also recommending that I not work during any of the treatment process. I originally thought the induction chemo wouldn't be so bad, but her opinion seems different. In fact, we even discussed having a feeding tube installed now, as my body is still in good health. Going into this whole process, I was insistent on not having the feeding tube, but now I'm reconsidering, especially if it will help save my life by providing me with the calories that I need when I'm not able to eat through my mouth.

2 comments:

kzATL said...

Mark - - Efee forwarded this information. The 3 of us had dinner together at one time so I remember you well. I am praying for you, and Bobbie, for strength during this difficult time. God Bless You Both! My best to the two of you - -Kathy Zimmerman

Unknown said...

Hi Mark, I was really shocked when I got your email. My thoughts go out to you, and I hope you are encountering a lot of strength and comfort. Know that I am sending virtual hugs and warm fuzzy feelings over! I will be praying for you. Hsin