Saturday, November 1, 2008

Preparing for Round Two

This past Thursday, I met my oncologist for my post-chemo evaluation. She said the elevated white blood count is due to the daily Neupogen shots that I have been receiving, starting the day after my 5-FU pump was removed. There was no need to be alarmed as the Neupogen was doing it's job, but I probably didn't need any of the shots for my first round of chemo. Normally, Neupogen is given starting with the second round of chemo. She adjusted my Neupogen schedule from 10 shots over 10 days to 7 shots over 7 days for the next chemo round.

My doctor prescribed potassium pills to help my potassium level, which had dropped to 3.2 MMOL/L; standard range is 3.6-5.0 MMOL/L. If my potassium level drops too low (hypokalemia), I can become very weak. Also, your muscles, especially your heart, need potassium to function properly.

I mentioned to my oncologist how much pain the ulcer has been. She recommended taking the Prilosec 20 mg twice a day for the rest of my treatment. There is a possiblity that the ulcer was present even before treatment, but the chemo drugs and all the other pills that I took made the ulcer much worse. She cleared me for my second round of chemo, which will start this Thursday.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

During my college years and some years after college I had very bad stomach ulcer too. I remember I had to take a Japanese medicine Siron-U (Japanese pronounciation). They said it is a chemical extracted from cabbage. I don't know whether it is true. Cabbage is my favorite vegetable anyway. I eat a lot of cooked cabbage everyday. I wash cabbage, carrot and potato without removing their peel. Chop them, put them in a large stainless pot with some water, add chopped tomato and frozen ground turkey or skinless fat-free chicken breast on the top, and spinkle them with a little bit of garlic salt. I use a strong flame to bring it to boiling, and then low falme to cook for about 30 mins. When it cools down, I add some soybean oil, mix them and serve. This mixed vegetables provide me with a lot of natural antioxidants, ditary fibers, and nutritional minerals including potassium. Most Americans don't get enough potassium because they rarely eat vegetables. Prescribed potassium is a medicine. One must follow the prescribed dosage carefully. Siron-U helped my symptom, but didn't cure my ulcer. After moving to America, the problem disappeared itself. I believe it was due to my dietary change. After coming to America, I stopped eating spicy foods, soy souce and all fermented foods. I cut down my salt intake too. I now only use a little bit of garlic salt. Most people eat too much salt, which can contribute to hypertension. I suspect salty foods have to do with stomcah ulcer too. Diet is important for health. You are what you eat. May God speed up your healing. Uncle David

Chloe said...

Your attitude is so great. If you get dry mouth my mom found that sucking on sour patch kids-yes they still make them-helped during her chemo (she had to get the heart port too). Stay upbeat. Take care of yourself and get better soon.
Chloe & Andrew

Unknown said...

LOL...Mark you have so much energy its funny:) If only I could have half of the energy and enthusiasm you've got!Keep on trucking...all of these treatments and medications will be a distant memory and you will be get better once again!

Anonymous said...

It would be a good idea for example to go for a reverse phone lookup company that will allow you to initially search for a number in their records. [url=http://www.mr-reversephonelookup.com/]reverse phone lookup[/url] reverse phone number lookup There are several websites that can help you, but which one to choose? http://www.mr-reversephonelookup.com/