Friday, December 19, 2008

False start

First, I'm very happy that my ulcer pain this time only lasted two days.

This morning, I visited the infusion center for 2 hours for my infusion of carboplatin, the first weekly round of seven total rounds that I will be receiving each Friday. The carboplatin is easier on the body than the cisplatin that I received in the previous three rounds of chemo. The dosage is also lower so I'll have to visit the infusion center each week, and I'll only receive one chemo drug as opposed to three chemo drugs each round.

This afternoon, we stopped by the hospital for what I thought was my first IMRT radiation treatment. Instead, the technicians only took a few more x-rays to confirm that the simulation scans align with the new x-rays once I'm strapped into the mask which they made last week. The mask setup is definitely tighter than I thought it would be now that the mask is dry and hard.

Since the hospital is closed on Christmas, radiation will start on Sunday. Prior to each treatment each day, I am required to arrive 45 minutes early to get my amifostine shots. The amifostine drug will hopefully reduce xerostomia, which is a very nasty side effect of radiation to the head and neck.

Happy holidays.

Note to self: Remove wallet (credit cards) from pocket before entering MRI machine!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark,

Merry Christmas to you and Bobbies.

Tiffany

deborah d. lattimore said...

very glad to "meet" you and to be able to read about your experience. you seem so positive and upbeat. i can learn a lot from you. here's to much good health and happiness in 2009!