Saturday, October 25, 2008

Roller Coaster Ride

Wow, what a week! Just when things were getting better, I got no sleep Tuesday night when my whole body was just aching. I took some regular Tylenol, which did absolutely nothing for the pain. Wednesday, I took Tylenol 3 instead. Much better. Or maybe not as I would soon find out.

Thursday morning was my PEG tube surgery. I was told the surgery would be quick and only require 20 minutes. What I was not told until right before surgery was that they needed to hold me at the hospital for at least 4 hours after the surgery to monitor my recovery.

After surgery, my doctor informs me that he found an ulcer in my stomach during the PEG tube surgery. Take more pills, no big deal, right? Well, except for more pain in my stomach inside and outside, which I thought was from the surgery and normal during the recovery period, plus I was not allowed to eat for the remainder of the day, that pain turns out to be from the ulcer. I never knew an ulcer could hurt so much! And as much as I like Tylenol 3 for pain, I'll never forget to take it again without food.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Mark,
So the stomach ulcer was discovered when the PEG tube was being installed. That is a blessing in disguise, because you will not need to have a new set of diagnosis tests including a painful stomach scope to confirm the ulcer. Your stomach ulcer can be treated at the same time. I rember when I was young, I had stomach ulcer too, and to take a Japanese medicine (Siron-U?) for it. The medicine didn't cure my problem. The problem disappeared after I moved to America and changed my diet. They have used antibotics to kill the offending bacteria. But now, they said exterminating the bacteria may not be a good idea, because it increases the risk of asthma. The bacteria could be a beneficial symbiotic. My sympathy for your pain. But it might be God's idea to equip you with the empathy for others' pain. "All things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose". Aunt Margaret and I pray for your speedy recovery. You already have made some good progresses. God loves you and so do we! Uncle David